Russell Brand Speaks Out After Being Charged With Rape & Sexual Assault

Russell Brand’s legal troubles have taken a serious turn. The British comedian is being charged with rape and sexual assault stemming from alleged incidents with four separate women between 1999 and 2005, Access Hollywood confirms. Scotland Yard announced the news on April 4, sharing in a statement that Crown Prosecution Service has authorized Metropolitan Police to charge Brand with one count each of rape, oral rape and indecent assault, and two counts of sexual assault. Brand is due in court on May 2. Access Hollywood has reached out to Brand for comment on the latest charges. Police said in a statement that they launched an investigation following a 2023 Channel 4 documentary on the multiple allegations against Brand in conjunction with reporting from The Sunday Times. Metropolitan Police Superintendent Andy Furphy said that women who have filed reports are receiving support from specially trained officers, adding that the Met encourages anyone affected by the case or who may have information to speak with authorities. Brand has previously denied all wrongdoing and responded to the latest charges in a public social media video.